Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The homemade wine project

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but I have had my first goof. What is kind of funny, is that even a goof has a good end.

This one deals with the last batch of apple wine that I started. I hesitated to start it, for fear that the cooler weather coming up would hinder fermentation, but I decided to go with it anyway.

Since the weather was turning cooler, I didn't check my primary fermentation as often as I should have. I came into the office, and noticed a 'smell'. It wasn't an unpleasant smell, but certainly strong and different. A couple of seconds of investigation, and my nose led me to the fermentation bucket of this latest batch of wine. It's not wine any more.

I allowed it to stay in primary fermentation too long, and it turned into vinegar! So now, I have made a batch of apple cider vinegar! Oh well, you can't quite drink it like wine, but it is good, and good for you!

No comments: